Marine Mechanic School
NGO Name: Kolektif Rivier Nwar
United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
1. End poverty in all its forms everywhere
3. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
4. Ensure inclusive & equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
8. Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
9. Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
10.Reduce inequality within and among countries
Black River has never been a platform for job opportunities, especially for people with a low educational background. Early school leavers either move from one casual job to the next, or become entangled in drugs. The drug situation in Black River is deteriorating as there are no job opportunities for them in the region.
The number of pleasure crafts is increasing in the region of Black River and the west coast is becoming a hive of activity. La Balise Marina is the only marina in Mauritius with 200 villas/apartments, each of them with a boat or a sea vessel. The region from Flic en Flac to Bel Ombre is inhabited by high net worth individuals, many owning seafaring vessels, and as a result, there is a great demand for skippers and boat mechanics. Boat owners have to go to Port Louis or send a mechanic to La Balise Marina for the work needed. No one in Black River provides technical or maintenance services to any sea vessels in the region.
These funds will be used to purchase the tools for the school.
- To empower vulnerable youth with lifelong skills.
- To increase and expand ocean-related job opportunities in connection in Black River.
- To operate a boat workshop in Black River.
- To professionalise the youth of Black River in the Marine and Tourism Sector.
15 unemployed and vulnerable youths and skippers, who lost their jobs due to the Covid-19 pandemic, from the region of Grande Riviere Noire.
The yard of Lakaz Sosial Rivier Nwar, La Jetée Road, Grande Rivière Noire.
Please Note: All information herein, in part or in whole, is that of the said NGO and not of the I61 Foundation. 100% of the funds raised will be allocated to the project. If you have any questions, we would be more than happy to answer them. Thank you for your consideration.