NGO Name: National Empowerment Foundation (NEF)
United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
1. End poverty in all its forms everywhere
2. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
4. Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
6. Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
Many families on the west coast of Mauritius have no access to running water. They depend on deliveries from CWA bowsers to fill their blue drums or communal water tanks in their village, where they draw their water from. This is the hottest and poorest part of the island and the NEF wants to ensure families receive water in another way that is cost effective and proximate to their homes. Hence, rainwater harvesting capabilities are being installed on homes ie. rain falls onto the rooftops of homes, it is collected by gutters and fed into a blue drum. The water will be used for cleaning homes and clothes, flushing toilets and watering vegetable gardens. The project will assist 10 vulnerable families from Riviere Noire and Tamarin who do not have direct water access, and consists of the following:
- Providing beneficiaries with training on self-supply of water for their daily household use due to regional water restrictions
- Providing beneficiaries with the required tools for rain water harvesting
- Making use of existing community knowledge from other regions to teach the beneficiaries how to put the rainwater harvesting mechanism in place.
- Empowering men in the community to learn a new skill and earn an income
Please Note: All information herein, in part or in whole, is that of the said NGO and not of the I61 Foundation. 100% of the funds raised will be allocated to the project. If you have any questions, we would be more than happy to answer them. Thank you for your consideration.