NPO Name: National Empowerment Foundation (NEF)
United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
1. End poverty in all its forms everywhere
2. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
4. Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
6. Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
This project was planned to assist 10 vulnerable families from Riviere Noire and Tamarin who did not have direct water access, by installing rainwater harvesting capabilities on the roofs of their homes. The water collected would be used for cleaning homes and clothes, flushing toilets, and watering vegetable gardens. Many families on the west coast of Mauritius have no access to running water. They depend on deliveries from CWA bowsers to fill their blue drums or communal water tanks in their village, where they draw their water from.
Provide beneficiaries with training on self-supply of water for their daily household use due to regional water restrictions.
- Providing beneficiaries with the required tools for rainwater harvesting.
- Make use of existing community knowledge from other regions to teach the beneficiaries how to put the rainwater harvesting mechanism in place.
- Empowering men in the community to learn a new skill and earn an income.
5 out of the 10 families received the rainwater harvesting apparatus installed on their homes and this is functioning well. Unfortunately, due to conditions out of the control of the NEF, the project was unable to be extended to the remaining 5 homes. The outstanding funds and materials will be allocated to another rainwater harvesting project in the region run by another nonprofit organisation. For further information in this regard please write to us at [email protected].
Please Note: All information herein, in part or in whole, is that of the said NGO and not of the I61 Foundation. 100% of the funds raised will be allocated to the project. If you have any questions, we would be more than happy to answer them. Thank you for your consideration.